Sunday 17 August 2014

Parque de los Patos (Park of the Ducks)

Continued from Guggenheim, Bilbao, Part Two

The rest of the day, we walked, walked, and walked in spite of the searing heat. Of course, we stopped here and there. Walking around the Fine Arts Museum, chilling out in the duck's park (Doña Casilda Iturrizar park, nicknamed Parque de los Patos for the pond where ducks and other waterfowl can be seen frolicking around the fountain), strolling under the pergola, breathing some oxygen from this English-styled park...

Duck's Park, Bilbao
Doña Casilda Iturrizar park

The park was relatively quiet, after the masses in the Guggenheim. Have you noticed how parks are never quite full with tourists? They're too busy rushing around, or being rushed around, from point to point, that by the time their tour ends, they just want to plonk themselves down on their beds or sofas. No time for ordinary things like parks - they can get them at home.

Me, I love parks. I love observing people, observing the things they do. Lovers, families, friends...

Still peckish after the semi-disastrous lunch at Zubizuri, we stopped for some coffee and ice-cream at a café the name of which I can't remember. Then, carried on walking. We came across a couple of lots where they displayed models of the lampposts used in the streets of Bilbao. Interesting. I'd noticed how pretty some of their lampposts are.

Bilbao streetlamp
Streetlamp

Eventually, we got back to the apartment. I wanted to catch Guggenheim at sunset, so I set out on my own with my tripod. My legs were begging me to stop, but expecting rain any time, I didn't want to risk leaving it until the following day. Besides, I cherish the time I get to be alone, just me and my camera, especially during my favourite time of day...

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." Ernst Haas


No comments:

Post a Comment